I had a few things in mind when buying a laptop:
- Have it be 64-bit - Which meant I had to get an AMD CPU, not an Intel Pentium M as they’re all 32-bit). This is because I’m already running Windows Vista \– It’ll come in 32 and 64 bit flavours, but the 64-bit version will be a lot cooler. I also run a 64bit version of linux \– Ubuntu).
- Not have a sucky onboard intel graphics (video) card.
- Small 14″ widescreen – widescreen is the future you know!
- Under $1k.
I started out. There are a few options for the CPU (all AMD though). I got the obvious choice: The AMD Turion64 (it’s the one AMD intended to be put in laptops thus getting the best battery life). Unfortunately, good graphics card weigh a lot, produce a lot of heat and use lots of battey life. Because of this, they aren’t put into the smaller laptops (usually only the 15.4″ and bigger) My only option was to get a motherboard made by a graphics card company, that included an onboard graphics card made by them. My choice: ATI xPress200 Motherboard with an ATI 200m graphics card (it’s even directX 9!). Dell only sells Intel processors, so does IBM, so does Toshiba. The only real options were gateway and HP/compaq. We all know since Gateway bought eMachines a while ago, their machines started sucking, so…..I bought an HP. I ended up with the HP L2000
HP Special Edition L2000 Notebook PC. Here are the specs:
- AMD Turion™ 64 ML-37 (2.0GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
- 14.0 WXGA BrightView Widescreen
- ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M w/productivity ports
- 512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
- 60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
- DVD+/-RW/R CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer
- 54g Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
- Extra 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
You’ll notice I didn’t get much RAM and the Hard-Drive is a little small. This was deliberate, because the companies always charge you a fortune for those upgrades. I already bought a 1GB stick of RAM for $100 that I will just install myself once it arrives. giving me a total 1.5GB (since i custom built it, it will take a week or 2 to arrive). I’ll do the same with the Hard-Drive once I get a little extra cash. Notice I got the 12 Cell battery. It’s good to last around 5 hours!!! I also got bluetooth (a means of wirelessly communicating with phones, mice etc…)